Wednesday, April 10, 2013

MMTC Program Honors FCC's Women


I attended today' s luncheon put on by the Minority Media and Telecommunications Council to honor women who have served as FCC commissioners and in other important positions at the agency. The event was scheduled initially back in March during Women's History Month, but due to a late season snowstorm scare it had to be rescheduled. 
I'm glad it was rescheduled – because it was a terrific, inspirational event. Congratulations to MMTC, and especially David Honig, Maurita Coley, Julia Johnson, Deborah Tate, and all the others who worked hard to put together the program. 
And congratulations to Mignon Clyburn and Jessica Rosenworcel, the current sitting FCC commissioners, whose own personal stories imbued the program with special meaning regarding the important role women have played – and, of course, continue to play – at the FCC and, more broadly, in developing communications policy. 
Even while not necessarily agreeing with every jot and tittle of MMTC's positions – and I'm sure MMTC doesn't always agree with every jot and tittle of FSF's positions either – I've always respected the organization's vigorous advocacy of the issues that are at the core of its mission. And I've long admired the leadership and dedication that David Honig, Julia Johnson, Debi Tate, and the other top officials bring to the task of guiding MMTC. 
Over the years, I have always enjoy attending MMTC's events, and I'm glad I didn't miss this memorable one. 
PS – I can't resist adding that I am proud that Debi Tate, in addition to her leadership role at MMTC, is a Distinguished Adjunct Senior Fellow at FSF. I'm proud as well that Donna Gregg, a former FCC bureau chief, and Michelle Connolly, a former FCC chief economist, both of whom are also affiliated with FSF, were both honorees.