Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanksgiving Day 2016



Since I founded the Free State Foundation in 2006, I’ve tried to pen special holiday messages to our friends and supporters on Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving Day. As we enter our second decade, I don’t plan on stopping the tradition any time soon. So, here’s hoping you don’t mind.
Of course, there are many more holidays on the calendar from which to choose if I were so inclined. But to me, Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving are uniquely American holidays. I am unabashed in my belief that America is a unique nation, blessed with a unique form of government bequeathed to us by our Founders.
That the Founders were not, by any means, perfect men does not mean that they lacked the foresight and wisdom to bequeath to us the means by which “to form a more perfect Union.”
From its inception, the Free State Foundation has proclaimed as its mission the promotion of free market, limited government, and rule of law principles. In that vein, we have focused on eliminating unnecessary regulatory mandates, protecting individual and economic liberty, including property rights, and making government more effective, efficient, and accountable.
On this Thanksgiving, as always, I’m grateful that we live in a free country in which we can freely advocate for the adoption of laws and policies that, in our view, comport with our principles. And I’m equally grateful that you are able to freely advocate for yours. In other words, while we at the Free State Foundation advocate, vigorously I hope, for the adoption of free market and limited government policies, you may, if you wish, advocate for the adoption of anti-free market and anti-limited government policies.
But here’s what is most important: All of us must advocate – that is, exercise our First Amendment rights – consistent with the rule of law and within the constraints of our Constitution. That is what ultimately binds us together as Americans. On adherence to the rule of law, there should not – must not! – be disagreement, or we will lose that which makes America exceptional.
This year has been one in which my own family has had to confront personal challenges, and I am sure the same is true for some of you as well. But we know we have many blessings to count, and for that we are thankful. And I certainly hope the same is true for you.
So, in the spirit of a uniquely American holiday, and with much for which to be grateful, on behalf of those of us at the Free State Foundation, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and a meaningful one too.