Friday, April 24, 2020

Panel Video on the Foundations of Intellectual Property

In time for World IP Day on April 26, the Committee for Justice hosted a panel on "Google v. Oracle and the Constitutional Foundations of Intellectual Property Law." I was honored to join the panel, which included Prof. Adam Mossof and CFJ President Curt Levey. Video for the one-hour panel is now available online:
My panel colleagues addressed issues raised in Google v. Oracle, an important copyright case now on the U.S. Supreme Court's docket. And my panel remarks focused on the natural rights understanding of copyrights that formed a backdrop to the U.S. Constitution's Copyright Clause. I also briefly touched on some copyright modernization reform proposals drawn from the new book by Free State President Randolph May and I titled Modernizing Copyright Law for the Digital Age – Constitutional Foundations for Reform. My deep thanks go to the Committee for Justice for inviting me to participate.